Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's Building 71 is a 53,700 SF, two-story building orginally built in 1955. It is a concrete and steel frame structure, type III-B, fully sprinklered and located on the north upper side of the laboratory.
The BELLA project includes demolition and construction of interior elements, partitions, concrete walls,floors and roofs; construction installation of MEP systems such as fans, ductwork, piping, transformers,electrical panels and fire sprinkler systems.
The area allocated for the BELLA project is approximately 9,000sf; the remaining offices and laboratories located immediately adjacent and within the building remained in operation while the construction work was performed.
The BELLA project consisted of a control room area, coffee room, wipe-down gowning area, staging assembly area, laser bay and experimental cave.