Annual Craft Hours
Trained Safety Professionals
Safety is our Priority at every Step of Construction
Construction is performed in continually changing and complex work environments. At Overaa, we do not rest on our laurels. Each and every day, we come to work ready to learn, to improve, and to look out for one another, so that at the end of the day, we can go home to our families.
Overaa is honored to be recognized as a leader in the construction industry for worker safety and health. We have been awarded the President’s Safety Award from the California Employers Association (CEA) consecutively for the past 10 years. We also have received recognition from ConocoPhillips, Tesoro, and other refineries for our safe work — these distinctions are tremendous accomplishments in particular, as refineries typically hold the most stringent safety standards in the industry due to a work environment that often involves complex process equipment, hazardous materials, and handling materials under high pressures and temperatures.
Overaa’s self-performed craft hours are amongst the highest in all of Northern California; it is not unusual for our teams to log 100,000 craft hours on a single project or to self-perform 750,000+ craft hours company-wide over the course of a year. Our industry-leading EMR speaks to our commitment to safety and our commitment to learn, to improve, and to look out for one another.
Safety Track Record
EMR | 5 YEAR
EMR | 2021
Experience Modification Rate (EMR) is a metric insurers use to calculate worker’s compensation premiums. It gauges past cost of injuries and future chances of risk. An EMR of 1.0 is considered the industry average.
Safety Training Program
This safety video is required viewing for all employees and is also available in Spanish.
confined space rescue
Every person on the jobsite is authorized to enforce our safety policy and procedures. Overaa’s in-house program — Overaa Continuous Improvement (OCI) — addresses safety training for project management, superintendents, forepersons and craft personnel. It is provided on-site and at headquarters training facilities by our safety personnel or outside experts. Topics are tailored to Cal/OSHA regulations, job site tasks, stakeholder goals, and more. Instruction is available in English and Spanish.
Everyone is empowered and authorized to stop work and enforce safety procedures
Overaa is proud to have been an inaugural member of Cal/OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Program. The California Voluntary Protection Program (Cal/VPP) is designed to recognize employers and their employees who have implemented safety and health programs that effectively prevent and control occupational hazards.
Construction Jobsite Survey Reports (CJSR) with iAudit are performed daily. Safety Engineers photograph and perform a 100-point check list. The audit provides instant feedback across jobsites, inspires friendly competition and immediate action.
THE DAILY HUDDLE
First thing in the morning, crew members assemble for a Daily Huddle. Here, we discuss upcoming activities and associated risks, and review the specific steps necessary to safely accomplish the task. We share lessons learned from other jobsites. Superintendents also lead a daily Stretch & Flex routine.
AWARDS, PROGRAMS AND AFFILIATIONS
- As a Cal/OSHA VPP contractor, our safety program meets or exceeds CAL/OSHA requirements and is compliant with ISNetworld, a platform our refinery, industrial, and manufacturing clients use to screen contractors and ensure their rigorous regulations and standards are upheld.
- We are a member of Gold Shovel Award Program, which empowers field teams to operate safely and to protect excavation crews and the public.
- Overaa is a member of the National Safety Council, a nonprofit program to eliminate preventable deaths at work, in homes, in communities, and on the road through leadership, education, and advocacy.
- We have received the CEA President’s Safety Award and Excellence in Safety Award for several years in a row.
- We are an annual participant in the SRBX Safety Expo, a safety, leadership development, and construction equipment training conference.
- We were named the 2nd Healthiest Employer among large employees by San Francisco Business Times in 2017.